How to develop vitality
It can be really exhausting in today's every changing and challenging world
It can feel like there is a war out there!
It times of huge pressure, in mission critical situations and where sustained effort is required, our vitality is crucial.
It's easy to get into a downward spiral and end up with adrenal fatigue, making mistakes and crashing out exhausted.
Resilience will play a big part, and vitality is key.Vitality in today's ever changing, volatile, uncertain and challenging world has become a key skill for leaders to develop in their teams. I have a firm belief that all performance in any organisation or team comes from how people feel.
My understanding is that vitality comes down to 8 key elements. There are other factors, but these are key.
These are shown in no particular order - balance across all 8 is key!
- Purpose - knowing what your purpose is and living it, gives you energy. Keep it at the forefront of the mission. Remind people regularly.
- Support - it's vital to have a support network in place to care and enable you to work at the limit. Encouragement and thank you's go along way when tired. Do daily check ins, be honest, be vulnerable, check how people are feeling.
- Sleep - you can't operate flat out all the time you need to manage your energy and recover. Learn to live in harmony with your natural sleep/wake cycles, when to use active and passive rest, and how meditation, chi-gong and energy cultivating exercises can enhance your health. Grab sleep whenever you can.
- Hydration - Learn the importance of water quality, optimal amount, and how water is a powerful healing tool. Keep hydrated!
- Self talk - I believe that if you can change your thoughts, you can change your life. We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. It is very important that we learn to love ourselves. We can only love another, in the capacity in which we love ourselves. Our ultimate goal is unconditional love. Tapping will help through times of stress.
- Movement - Learn how working out (expending energy) and working in (cultivating energy) can balance all systems of the body. No need to work out if you are already working flat out, but a gentle walk in nature, a swim, yoga, stretching or dancing can help.
- Breathing - Experience how proper breathing techniques create an abundance of energy, balance the autonomic nervous system, and enhance life. Heartmath Techniques are great for this.
- Nutrition - Learn how to make conscious choices about where your food comes from, how it was raised or grown, how to eat for your metabolic type, and how to prepare your food to enhance your own vitality. Digestion and absorption are major factors in optimal health. It is important that these functions be supported.
So on reflection, how are you doing on making sure these eight vitality elements become part of you routine?